I live in a BIG city with lots of modern conveniences, and most days when I'm just out and about, going to the market, at the mall, etc., I can wear jeans and a kurta or any kind of western shirt - as long as it covers my bottom. However, when I go out into the slums or into more conservative areas, it's better that I wear traditional South Asian clothing... which can be fun!
Remember these jewels???
I'll be honest. I don't remember them much because I was pretty young when they were popular... but I DO remember my older cousin rockin' 'em (a little shout out to Steven), so that's how I know they were cool! ;)
Anyway, South Asia has its own Hammer Pants, and I get to wear them (and iron them, unfortunately)!
And did you know, Hammer pants were styled after harem pants, which originated in South Asia?? (I just learned that, thanks to the internet!)... Here, they're called Salwar pants... and once the Kurta and Dupatta (that's the scarf) are added - Ta-da!! You have a 3-piece suit!
Remember these jewels???
I'll be honest. I don't remember them much because I was pretty young when they were popular... but I DO remember my older cousin rockin' 'em (a little shout out to Steven), so that's how I know they were cool! ;)
Anyway, South Asia has its own Hammer Pants, and I get to wear them (and iron them, unfortunately)!
And did you know, Hammer pants were styled after harem pants, which originated in South Asia?? (I just learned that, thanks to the internet!)... Here, they're called Salwar pants... and once the Kurta and Dupatta (that's the scarf) are added - Ta-da!! You have a 3-piece suit!
These days, lots of the younger girls wear mostly Western clothing (jeans/tops) - and some of the wealthier ones have even started wearing shorts and dresses in public! - but you'll see most women wearing this type of outfit (or a sari) everyday. It's neat to see the mix of culture (and of course, some days I sure am thankful I'm able to wear Western-looking clothes), but I think it's pretty special what they have - so I hope they keep their style! :)



No comments:
Post a Comment