Below are some pictures from all I experienced during my first week in South Asia!!
 |
My first full day in town I got to see and spend time with a family I met during training. They will be living about 4 hours from me and were only in my city for a short time, so I was VERY thankful to be able to see them!!
Aren't they so cute?!?!? I love them! |
 |
| My first solo auto ride.... we broke down twice!! No problem, I eventually got to where I was going! :) |
 |
| I went into my home-stay on day 3. This is my very sweet "Mom" after church on Sunday. She is widowed with 3 children. I plan to share more with you about she and her family soon! |
 |
| My first meal at home-stay... aloo (potatoes) and chapati (tortilla-like bead).... it was yummy! |
 |
| It's been about 40 degrees here... and with no heat inside the little concrete home it can get PRETTY chilly. This is me all bundled up at the home-stay. I was wearing 2 pairs of socks, leggings, jeans, 2 tank tops, a kurta (their style of long shirts), a sweat shirt, and a fleece!! Later came gloves and earmuffs (thanks, Granddaddy!!)! :) |
 |
| These are the ladies we met with on Saturday to share the story of the Feeding of the 5000. |
 |
| The ladies acting out the story |
 |
| Afterwards, all the ladies retold the story. |
 |
| After each lady told the story, Erin, Meagan (two other girls serving for 2 years in this same city... they've been here for about 3 months), and Danette (our supervisor), drew a mehndi design which represents the story on the ladies' hands. The design will stay for a couple of weeks, and they can use it to share with others! |
 |
| I hadn't practiced the design yet, but this little girl came, so I gave it a shot! It's definitely not as easy as it might look! I'm gonna have to practice, practice, practice! |
 |
| The final product!! The five flowers represent the five loaves of bread and the two fish-like designs represent the 2 fish :) In two weeks we'll go to meet with the ladies again to see who they've shared with and then teach them the story of the Bleeding Woman from Mark 5... so you can be lifting this time up! |
 |
This is Erin. She is my roommate/teammate... and is also from south Georgia! We were at a market close to our home-stay neighborhood and were excited to see our home state represented in South Asia!
(p.s. Don't mind the guy in the back. He's just trying to get in on the action!)
|
 |
| Wednesday, during my day out of home-stay, Erin and I made our first "home-cooked" lunch! French fries!! It was't the most balanced lunch, but it was tasty! We're hoping to improve our culinary skills over these next 2 years!! |
In addition to all of this, I've been meeting with a language helper, and today was my first day of official language class. We have homework and everything! I was a little excited, and it gave me a glimmer of hope that maybe I can actually learn this language! :) There are so many other details I could write about, but I've got to head back to my home-stay. When I come out next Tuesday, I'll post more pictures and tell you more about my new family!
Thanks for being interested in my life here on the other side of the world. I'm so blessed by your love!!
No comments:
Post a Comment