Remember back in October when I had this great idea to introduce you to different groups of people in South Asia each month and then we could spend 4 weeks lifting each of them up? Maybe?! Maybe not...? Anyway, I haven't kept up with that idea, but I'm giving it another go!
Even though we're already one week into March, I'm hoping you will join me in lifting up the Press Walas (Press = Iron, Wala = One who does/is) in my city for the rest of this month.
On almost every block in this city (actually, in our block alone I can think of at least 3), you'll see a man or woman standing at a table ironing clothes with (what feels like) a 50 lb. iron that's heated with coals. Throughout the day people in the neighborhoods will take their clothes to the press walas wrapped in an old piece of fabric to keep their things separate from the others that have been brought. In just a short while, they can pick up their freshly pressed clothes, or if the press wala has a little helper, their clothes can be delivered to their home! Lots of clothes get ironed every day, but with each piece costing 3-5 Rupees (that's about $.01 each), this work doesn't bring in much money.
Please join me in lifting up the press walas in my city and in this part of the world for the rest of March. Please especially lift up the sweet kids in the picture below and their family. Their family works on our street, and I've been taking my clothes to them for the past couple of weeks. On the day the picture below was taken, the mother and grandmother were working somewhere else, so the kids were filling in and doing the work that day.
Please ask that press walas and their families will have an opportunity to hear and believe the Good News.
Please ask that the Father will send believers to share with these that don't know.
Please ask that my roommate and I will be able to build a relationship and share with this family that works down the road from our home.
Even though we're already one week into March, I'm hoping you will join me in lifting up the Press Walas (Press = Iron, Wala = One who does/is) in my city for the rest of this month.
On almost every block in this city (actually, in our block alone I can think of at least 3), you'll see a man or woman standing at a table ironing clothes with (what feels like) a 50 lb. iron that's heated with coals. Throughout the day people in the neighborhoods will take their clothes to the press walas wrapped in an old piece of fabric to keep their things separate from the others that have been brought. In just a short while, they can pick up their freshly pressed clothes, or if the press wala has a little helper, their clothes can be delivered to their home! Lots of clothes get ironed every day, but with each piece costing 3-5 Rupees (that's about $.01 each), this work doesn't bring in much money.
Please join me in lifting up the press walas in my city and in this part of the world for the rest of March. Please especially lift up the sweet kids in the picture below and their family. Their family works on our street, and I've been taking my clothes to them for the past couple of weeks. On the day the picture below was taken, the mother and grandmother were working somewhere else, so the kids were filling in and doing the work that day.
Please ask that press walas and their families will have an opportunity to hear and believe the Good News.
Please ask that the Father will send believers to share with these that don't know.
Please ask that my roommate and I will be able to build a relationship and share with this family that works down the road from our home.
Seeing individuals who work so hard to make ends meet hurts my heart. I live such an easy life compared to others, even those here in our own country. I will join you in praying for these people.
ReplyDelete