wala [walla] - a suffix added to a noun indicating one who sells or delivers...
for example:
* subgee wala - one who sells vegetables
* press wala - one who irons clothes
* trash wala - one who picks up the trash
* saree wala - one who sells sarees
* auto wala - one who drives a small taxi
* rickshaw wala - one who drives a bicycle rickshaw
The list could go on and on, but you get the idea :)
So, these walas are a big part of my life here - especially the auto walas and rickshaw walas because they're the guys who get me where I need to go! They work hard hauling people around - especially the rickshaw walas - on very hot days... and they don't make much money doing it. Also, many of them will come from villages to work in the city, so they're living apart from their families, and some just end up sleeping in their autos at night.
They usually don't know much English, if any at all... and even though I'm learning more and more of their language, they're all men, and culturally, it's not super appropriate for me to be very chatty with them. Because of this, I can't share a ton with them, but I try to be faithful (key word is try - sometimes I get distracted or have my mind on where I'm going) to lift them up as they drive me along... I talk to the Father about them, their families, their jobs, and their eternities...
Each month I want to introduce you to someone new in this part of the world and have you join with me in lifting them up! I thought a good reminder would be to save one of the above pictures as the desktop background on our computers... and then when we get on to check our email or our facebook, we can also be reminded to think of them! We might not pr*y every time we see their picture, but surely it'll increase the odds of it happening :) (and I know we all like to have pretty pictures of nature or cute pictures of us with our friends and family on our desktops... so, if you want to print a picture and put it up somewhere else as a reminder, that's great too!)
So, scoll up - choose your favorite picture and click on it to open a bigger size (so it won't be fuzzy!) - right click on it to save it as your desktop photo - and let's take this month to especially lift up the thousands upon thousands of auto and rickshaw walas who are driving around this city and all of South Asia everyday... and who need to know the Hope this world can't give... let's ask that they will have an opportunity to Hear and Believe...






No comments:
Post a Comment