But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests
through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place. 2 Cor. 2:14

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

What?! I'm 25??

This past week I had the pleasure of celebrating my 25th (that's right... 25th! I can't believe it!) birthday in a city that is very dear to my heart. I went back to the city where I lived for 6 months just after I graduated from college. I went for a friend's wedding and also to do a little training.


The first part of my birthday was spent at the shelter where I volunteered 2 years ago. I did a mhendi party with the girls and shared the story of the Feeding of the 5000 with them (in English, with a translator). Afterwards, some other ladies and I put the design on their hands. They were very excited!!


Since I was last there, many of the girls are new... but many are the same. It was a complete joy to spend time with them. I felt like I had never left! Knowing these girls is sincerely one of the sweetest blessings I've been given!


That evening, I went with some friends to Pizza Hut for dinner! Until recently, it was the only American restaurant in town. Now, KFC as moved in down the street... still, no other restaurant offers the birthday serenade, which keeps Pizza Hut as the birthday hotspot for my American friends.

At Pizza Hut...This is my friend Cara. She recently moved back to South Asia and will be living here for 3 years. We didn't get a picture of everyone, but there were 9 other adults and 4 kids with us. They were so sweet to celebrate with me!
My supervisor from when I lived in this city asked what my favorite cake is... I said red velvet with cream cheese icing (as a joke because I didn't think it was possible)... and then told her yellow cake with white icing as my real answer... BUT, she actually made me red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese icing!! Can you believe it?!?!! 
They were soooo good!! (not quite on my Nana's level... but a close second!)
The birthday serenade by the Pizza Hut staff! We weren't the only party there that night!
My serenade from my 23rd birthday!
After Pizza Hut I went to my friend Anu's house for one more visit since I was leaving the next morning. I met her when I lived there before. I started out helping her with English... but then we just became friends. :)



All this... PLUS my sweet parents sent cards with me when I came in January (with instructions to save until my birthday, or earlier if needed:)) and I got all kinds of sweet emails and posts from friends and family in America... and all over the world! It was a wonderful day! I'm so grateful to God for this life He's given me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment